News: American Red Cross - Swim Lessons- Level 3
|7/23/2020 12:00:00 AM
Swim Lessons- Level 3
Learn-To-Swim Level 3- Stroke Development:
The objective of Learn-to-Swim Level 3 is to build on previously learned skills by providing additional guided practice. You teach participants to survival float, swim the front crawl and elementary backstroke. You introduce the scissors and dolphin kicks and build on the fundamentals of treading water. Participants should also learn rules for headfirst entries and begin to learn to enter the water headfirst from a seated position at poolside (if the water is 9 feet deep or deeper). As in all levels, you present additional safety skills and messages.
Skills to achieve:
1. Jump into deep water from the side
2. Perform rotary breathing
3. Perform butterfly kick and body motion
4. Change from vertical to horizontal position
on front and back
5. Dive from sitting or kneeling position (in water 9 feet or more)
6. Survival float
7. Perform HELP and huddle positions
8. Submerge fully and retrieve objects (weighted items)
9. Swim front crawl
10. Perform reaching assists (may use foam noodles, pull buoys or flotation devices)
11. Bob with head fully submerged
12. Swim back crawl
13. Use Check-Call-Care in an emergency
***The water depth must be at least 9 feet in order to safely teach the headfirst entries.
KEEP ENCOURAGING YOUR CHILDREN AND STAY SAFE!